Thursday 28 February 2013

Emily Sowerby

I'm Emily. I'm 20-year-old student currently living in London on a barge called Nymphaea. I'm studying BA Photography at Kingston University, it's my first year and it's been fantastic so far!  My practice is usually abstract, innovative and often minimalistic. My mind always bubbles with imaginative thinking and the desire to create something absolutely fresh. I’m always out with my camera, taking pictures of objects which motivate me as a Photographer. I know the importance of individual style, and look for this individually when out with my camera. 

Images from 'Atmosphere' project


I've been looking at cloud forms and how they appear like dramatic & emotional paintings, this project is very new and still in development. 
This project was heavily inspired by Alfred Stieglitz  and this “Equivalents”  collection of photographs.
I wanted to explore with my imagination and emotions to capture the clouds in different, interesting forms which can tell a narrative, secret or emotion. 
I just love the way you can't control the sky, the atmosphere is untouched by human influence, it can't not be shaped at will.
The sky has this mystery about it, something was cause curiosity in the minds of many, something dream-like.  

All text and images copyright of Emily Sowerby.