Tuesday 23 April 2013

Claire Marsden

I am a 21 year old student and have almost finished my degree in Graphic Arts and Design. I apply a multidisciplinary approach to both self-initiated and brief-led projects. I wouldn't describe myself a purely a photographer, but photography is one of the main disciplines I use to communicate my ideas. I often do documentary photography but this with this project I decided to use a studio set up as I wanted it to appear more unnatural and edgy. 



These images are part of a personal project called ‘Objects of Desire’, which brings together the interpretation of objects and questions the objectivity of the female form. I wanted it to raise thoughts about feminism and the objectivity of gender, but not necessarily comment on it directly. Some of these images also reference other practitioners I admire; for example, the photo with the violin is inspired by Man Ray. I am also interested in how inanimate objects can be easily interpreted as something else. The project is ongoing and will most probably lead to some form of publication, which I am now working collaboratively on.

All text and images copyright of Claire Marsden.