Tuesday 2 April 2013


Tzarina Sykes

I'm a 20 year old photographer studying at Cardiff School of Art and Design. I am particularly interested in landscape photography, especially in macro and close studies of single trees. Using light to its maximum potential is a big part of my work, I never using digital editing once I have taken my images. Some images require a lengthy amount of time sitting and watching the light change in the frame before the conditions are quite right. The care I take analysing the lighting is one of the best parts of my working practice.



Part of the beauty of this project was being able to make a connection to the woodland landscape. I see the camera as my main tool much like a painter would do a brush. I'm fascinated by the form, texture,inner structure and colour of tree's and plants within the woodland landscape. This project documents my adoration for the environment and gives the tree's a portrait like quality. I plan to document the same trees through the seasons as the colours change.

"The intricacy of every piece of wood or stone creates a character or emotion in every piece"
Elmer Gunderson


All images and text copyright of Tzarina Sykes