Tuesday 15 January 2013

Gabriella Rose

I am currently studying Documentary Photography at the University of Newport, South Wales. 
I am passionate about photography and its ability to communicate and express ideas as well as spread awareness on a global scale. My interests include painting, play the piano, practicing yoga and traveling. 

Images taken from the project - Mirrors of the Soul

I would like to have created a project that strips our expectations and taught beliefs about the animals we walk this world alongside. I want to iron out the hierarchy we have created.
We play god in choosing the fate of the animals. We select certain animals for mass production and mass slaughter and we select animals to share the comfort of our homes. Who made this decision and why? Who decided on the certain value of life for each individual species? What is the difference between the animal on your plate to the one on your lap? This project should look into the eyes of the animals, and if successful, mirror their souls.
 The eyes will play the leveler.
I have photographed animals that are considered food and animals that are considered as pets. I will focus on the power of their gaze and bring to light the life inside each and everyone, no matter what size, shape, bark or squawk.


All text and photos copyright of Gabriella Rose.